Sunday, September 18, 2011

How to Make Water Kefir - Picture Tutorial

How to make water kefir:


Start with your water kefir with the grains still in it. These should have sat for 24-48 hours before you change them over. If you are just starting out, chances are you just have grains.in a bit of sugar-water. 

You'll need boiled water (if you have city water. Well-water is fine), organic lemons, sugar, a fig or some other dry, unsulphered fruit, and molasses. You can also do Demerara sugar instead of the sugar/molasses combo.

 You'll also need some quart jars, some with lids, some with a cloth cover of sorts (my MIL made me these!!!) rubber bands, a plastic colander, a plastic Tbsp, and a plastic or glass pitcher. Metal + kefir grains = bad. I guess the metal reacts with them. So just be safe and use plastic or glass.
 
Then, you will strain your grains....

 If you are just starting out, the liquid you strain off is probably just sugar water and can be thrown out. After you follow these steps, you will have actual kefir water. Keep that! It's what you drink. 
Also, make sure that your kefir grains are never touched by metal. Only use plastic or glass.

Strained Kefir grains! Aren't they perdy? They are that beige color because of the molasses

You can feed your kefir grains with a clean eggshell (like off a hard boiled egg), or with a raw sugar instead of the molasses. There are other ways, too, but these are what I know work for sure.


Now measure out your strained kefir grains into a clean canning jar.
The ratio is 1 Tbsp grains : 1 Tbsp sugar : 1 cup water. And then I add just a Tbsp of molasses per quart. So for a quart jar you'll do 4 Tbsp grains, 4 Tbsp sugar, 4 cups of water, and 1 Tbsp molasses.

1 Tbsp molasses


4 Tbsp of sugar

You can also just use a raw sugar, like Demerara sugar instead of the white sugar/molasses combo.

Then add a slice or two of organic lemon (if not organic, just peel your lemon).


I add figs to mine. I'll do a whole one for the half-gallon jars or half for my quarts. I think it makes it fizzier. If you don't have figs, I've heard you can use any dried unsulphered fruit.
 
 Everything you need to make yummy water kefir!
Pour your water (boiled and cooled if you have city water) over everything.

I sometimes give it a little stir. Sometimes I don't. It does fine either way.

Cover with a piece of cloth or dishtowel and rubber band. Otherwise the fruit flies will do some nasty stuff to your kefir. Not cool to find tiny worms in your water kefir. Not cool at all.

This is now in it's first ferment. You let this sit for 24-48 hours and then repeat, this time keeping the fluid you strain out. That's your water kefir. You'll take that and follow the next directions:


Water Kefir ready to be bottled up for it's second ferment. Just need to add some flavors!

Now take the strained water kefir and put it into your jars with lids. Leave lots of room for your flavoring! 

My current favorite, pomegranate.
 
Then flavor it, using whatever you want. You can top off the jar (leave 1/2 inch space at the top) with more water kefir if needed.   

 Root beer extract for my husband. He begged.

Adding oranges to this batch. 
You can use whatever you want to flavor. Fruits, fresh or frozen, by themeselves or in combination, extracts, herbs, juices (fresh squeezed is best, frozen concentrate works well, too), etc.

Water kefir just starting it's second ferment. I have orange, root beer, pomagranate, apple cinnamon, and strawberry lemonade here.
After adding your fruit/flavors, put a lid on your jar tightly and let set on your counter for another 12-48 hours (the longer, the fizzier). Then, throw it (gently) into your refrigerator and you now have an awesomely yummy probiotic drink you can drink anytime! Enjoy!

Brought to you by Britt

11 comments:

  1. Interesting! How acidic is it versus say something like a kombucha? I've made ginger beer with yeast, but have been want to try a kefir or lacto-fermented version as well. Hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Michelle! I do kombucha too, and I find the kefir to have a similar feel... just a different flavor if that makes sense. The kefir reminds me more of a pop or champagne. It's lighter than the kombucha, in my opinion. My husband and kids LOVE the kefir, while I prefer the kombucha. I hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is quite interesting!! I would love to try it, but how do you advise getting children to drink it ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I strain out the fruits for my oldest, who doesn't like chunks in what she's drinking. My middle child loves it, fruit and all. I just pour it into a glass for them and they drink it right up. They don't really know what pop is, but if your kids do you could tell them it's like pop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do your grain multiply with that recipe? I have such a problem getting mine to multiply using a recipe of 1/4 cup turbinado sugar, pinch of baking soda, pinch of Himalayan salt and 4 cups of water. The product is good, but they just don't multiply. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mine multiply like crazy. They usually double or triple using this recipe. What kind of water do you have? City water needs to be boiled first. I also recommend using room temp/lukewarm water so you don't shock your grains. They might just need an extra boost of minerals, either in the form of a few drops of molasses or an eggshell. The slice of lemon supports a healthy pH level which makes the grains happy, too! Let me know if changing these things helps!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and where did you get your grains?

    ReplyDelete
  8. what grains? do I have to buy special kefir grains, or buy a yeast?

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can either buy water kefir grains from a website, go on "I love water kefir" on facebook and ask if someone in your area can share some, or I can send out water kefir grains to you for $7 (to cover shipping costs).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mine went scummy? That's from too much minerals?

    Maybe if using blackstrap molasses use less.

    ReplyDelete
  11. After having success with milk kefir, I decided to venture into Juice and water kefir. The transmogrified milk grains preformed great in the juices, not so well in the water. Purchase water grains and it's a slow go so far. A low acidity seems to work well about 5ph. Also stops the bacteria growth. Produces a batch every 24 hours. Good tip on the egg shells. will try.

    ReplyDelete