Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Killer Quiche


Mhhh... Quiche!

This is one of my families favorite meals!  About a year ago my chickens were producing so many eggs I had them coming out of my ears and I didn't know what to do with them all.  Now this is probably not the most practical recipe for families that don't have chickens laying a ton of eggs for them.  But it's the best. *grin*  Ok, maybe not "the best", but it's good and it was the turning point for my vegan husband to start eating animal products.  The original recipe that I altered this from called for 3 eggs, but I use 5, so if you want you can try it that way but I haven't.  And due to the dozens of eggs I have in my fridge at any given time I generally make a triple batch.  This is usually enough for two meals, sometimes three and it is just as good leftover and warmed up as it is right out of the oven.

For the batter you will need:
  • 5 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups of water
  • 2 TBSP of olive oil
  • 1/2 cup of flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • herbs to taste (I never really measure these, I just pore in what looks good.  Some of my favorites being oregano, basil, all purpose seasoning and paprika)
You will also need:
  • 4 ozs of cheese grated
  • and either leftover rice or potatoes (enough to cover the bottom of your dish)
The only veggies that I find to be mandatory are onions and garlic chopped up nicely.  The quiche is different every time depending on what we have in the fridge so you get to be creative.  Some of our favorite things to add are mushrooms, dark leafy greens of any kind & broccoli but you can add anything.  Your imagination is the limit!

  •  Start by pre-heating your oven to 350.
  • Then get your veggies out and cut up everything as you would for a stirfry.
    • If your going to be using potatoes you'll want to cut them up into bite size pieces and boil them with about 1 tsp salt just until they are barely tender.  Then drain and run cold water over them and set aside.  They don't have to be cooked all the way since they'll cook more in the oven.
  •  Stir fry your veggies in some olive oil, start with your onions and garlic (and mushrooms if you have them) until the onions start looking translucent.  Then add your other veggies and cook until everything is done.  (Again if everything isn't totally cooked through it's ok since it'll be in the oven for a while and have plenty of time to cook more.  I just do this to make sure nothing is raw.)
For the batter:
  • Beat the eggs
  • Add water and olive oil and mix well
  • Then add flour, salt and herbs and mix well
Ta Da!  You made the batter and the veggies! Almost ready for the oven!
  • Oil your baking dish, make sure you get the sides! (for a triple batch I think mine is something like 24"x18"x3")
  • If you have potatoes spread them on the bottom of the baking dish.  
    • If you are using leftover rice mix your stir-fried veggies into the rice and pour this onto the bottom of the pan.  Don't pack it down.
  • Sprinkle on your grated cheese (I find that doing it this way is WAY easier then trying to get the cheese spreed once the liquid has been added)
  • Get your batter and mix it up a little just to make sure the flour hasn't all sunk to the bottom and pore evenly over the rest of your ingredients in the baking dish.
  • Pop it into your pre-heated oven and cook for 40-45 minuets or until a toothpick or clean knife can be inserted and come out clean.
At this point we usually are starving and serve it out onto our dishes to cool.  My husband and I enjoy adding hot sauce to ours as it adds a different dimension to the flavors, but it is wonderful no matter what you do to it at this point.

Bon Appétit!!

No comments:

Post a Comment