Saturday, October 1, 2011

Water Kefir FAQ

Kefir FAQ:
  •  How much fruit/ concentrate/ juice do you put in?
        • I usually put in a 1/2 cup of fruit at least. I'll use a half of an orange per quart jar for example. For concentrate, a heaping tablespoon usually does the trick for a quart. And for juice, I use about 1/3 cup of juice per quart, sometimes less. 
    • How about extracts?
        • Extracts are trickier. Because they don't have sugar, you have to add some for the second ferment. I have yet to perfect this. You only need a drop or two of extract per quart jar. Really. Any more and you'll be dumping it in the garden. For this last ferment, I tried mint and added a tablespoon of sugar. I'll let you know how it goes!
  • How do I know if my kefir is healthy or dying?
        • Kefir grains are pretty tough, and even at the brink of death, they can be saved. I recommend keeping spares in the fridge in some sugar water just in case though :) Healthy kefir grains will give you kefir water in 24-48 hours with a fresh, fermented, slightly fizzy taste. They will also multiply for you. Unhealthy kefir will leave a film on top, won't "dance" in the jar (when bubbles get trapped under the kefir they will float and do a little dance), will smell like rotten eggs, or turn your sugar/water into a jellied mess, and will not multiply. If you're worried your grains are unhealthy, give them a baking soda bath. Take 1/2 tsp of baking soda per 1 cup of water and do enough to cover your grains. Leave them in the fridge for a few days, rinse and repeat. Then try again, being sure to follow the 1 Tbsp grains to 1 Tbsp sugar to 1 cup of clean, room temperature water ratio and add a bit of molasses/eggshell (if needed, see below) and a slice of organic lemon (see my full instructions here). Make sure they stay warm, at least 70-75 degrees F. Don't expect them to multiply right away, but pay attention to the other signs of health to assess them.
  • What's this slime on top?
        • Refer to the above question. The slime on top can indicate that you are putting too much minerals in your first ferment (for example, if you have well-water and are also adding molasses/eggshell) or that you over-fermenting your water kefir. I've just removed the slime and still drank the water kefir from these batches with no ill effects. But you definitely want to be adjusting these things if you want your kefir to stay healthy.
  • Does it matter what temperature water I put in it?
        • Yes. You want your water to be room temp/luke warm. Too cold, and you could shock your kefir grains causing them to take longer to start fermenting. Too hot, and it will just kill the grains.
  • How do I know when the second ferment is done?
        • Your lids should be on tight enough that you can see/feel the pressure build up. My mom waits until they "pop", which kind of ruins her lids. I usually just wait about 12 hours or so and when the lids feel done (which means I can't push them in at all), I give the jars a little tip or two and put them in the fridge. You don't want to leave them out too long... I've heard of jars exploding. Also, the warmer it is in your house, the faster the second ferment will go. So pay attention on those 90 degree days!
  • What other dried fruit can I use?
        • Apricots, plums, raisins, cranberries, etc. can all be used. Just be sure that it is unsulphered or preservative-free.
  • Can I use other citrus fruits besides lemons?
        • Yep! Try out different combinations to see what you like best!
  • Is water kefir safe for pregnant/ breastfeeding moms/ young children/ elderly?
        • So far from what I've read it is safe and beneficial. I personally am breastfeeding and drinking it and my young children drink it. However, don't take my word for it! Do your own research. Only you are responsible for yourself and your family's health. A word of caution to pregnant and breastfeeding moms- water kefir causes a sort of detox. If you choose to drink it, be sure to drink LOTS of water and go slow starting out. And by slow, I mean like start with a tablespoon a couple times a day and go from there. You may notice that your nursling may get a bad butt rash when you start drinking the kefir. I believe this is a yeast die-off. I personally kept the diapers off my baby (I used prefolds and removed them immediately upon wetting/pooping) and covered her bottom in coconut oil to help heal it. Consider using some sort of barrier cream on their bottom when you start drinking the kefir to protect their skin.
  • Where can I get water kefir grains?
        • A quick google search will lead you to a ton of people who sell water kefir grains.... usually for way too much, in my opinion. If you'd like some grains, I'll send them for the cost of shipping ($7 covers it for shipping in the U.S.). I send enough for at least one quart (4 Tbsp) but usually more if I have them. And I send them in fluid, so all you need to do is rinse and start 'em up!
  • What if I go on vacation or just want to take a break from water kefir?
        • Just take your grains, rinse them, and put them in a jar with clean water and some sugar, lid it, and refrigerate. Every once in awhile (like once a week or something), open them up and give them a second to get some fresh air and re-lid. I've heard of them lasting a year or more this way, though these people usually changed the sugar water out every so often.
Any other questions? I'd love to hear them! I'll post whatever questions you have and answer them here.

2 comments:

  1. Very informative post. I am interested in starting my own water kefir cultures, but wanted to gather more information on them. I am still researching the safety of them mainly looking for the possibility of not so friendly things growing in them. I read a post elsewhere about Kombucha growing things in it like nematodes and I am looking to see if this can happen with water kefir. If I recall correctly it had something to do with the Kombucha becoming vinegary that allowed the growth of bad things. I have not found any information about this happening with water kefir, so I am going to give it go. Thank you for this very well written post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very informative blog this is. I could better know about water kefir. Water kefir grains can be used to culture sugar water, juice, or coconut water. A powdered kefir starter culture may also be used to culture coconut water or fruit juice. Water kefir grains consist of bacteria and yeast existing in a symbiotic relationship. The term kefir grains describes the look of the culture only. Water kefir grains contain no actual grains such as wheat or rye.

    Source: Natural Water Crystals

    ReplyDelete